Labels

Thursday 25 April 2013

Let's eat & be merry

I like a lot of different things

dancing, travelling, music...

But, I LOVE FOOD ㅋㅋㅋ*

My dad has this lame joke that he loves to tell... It goes something like, 

"Liane only eats once a day... 
... 
... 
...
ALL DAY"

He cracks up every time he tells it.

My mom climbs right in there too with a follow up story about how she felt like she was dying while pregnant with me because she was SO HUNGRY.
Apparently that's how I ruined her figure.

My parentals are funny.

Since moving to Korea I've had to give up my mom's Sunday lunch cooking, family braais** and Cape Town sushi (cue inconsolable crying).

But Korea has been able to hold its own with regard to good food.

Below are some photos of my favourite dishes.

This is called Bibimbap.
It is a dish which mixes assorted veggies together with rice,
an egg and a type of hot pepper paste.
It is deeeelish. 
This is dakgalbi. It's definitely a favourite of mine.
On a grill in the middle of your table, you cook your dakgalbi by adding marinated chicken pieces, rice cakes, cabbage and other yummy veg.
Drool
This is a picture I took of an impromptu teachers' lunch.
It was crazily good. Nom nom nom.
Fruit, Kimbab (the thing that looks like sushi from back home), meat wrapped in lettuce leaves and savory rice stuffed into tofu.
Korea has good food but sometimes I cheat and visit a South African restaurant (Braai Republic) in Itaewon, Seoul. It's not really the same but it comes pretty darn close!

Lamb chops, boerewors, potjie, mashed potatoes and creamed spinich.
Everyone should eat this ALL THE TIME.

If you're in Seoul and want some South African food, music and a bietijie Afrikaans visit http://braairepublic.com/

Most importantly, 

have yourself a merry little dessert...

Life is short, 
eat yummy things, 
be thankful that you can 
and 
share your food with friends



* ㅋㅋㅋ is a Korean way of typing hahaha .... The sound is kekeke which is how some Koreans sound when they laugh (no jokes)
Alternatively you could type ㅎㅎㅎ which is the Korean equivalent of the "h" sound ... 
So that would be hahaha in Korean...
That was a nice paragraph of useless info but now you know ;)

** braai is a South African word for barbecue - this involves loads of meat, beer and some sort of sport watching... We South Africans LOVE TO BRAAI

No comments:

Post a Comment