Labels

Friday 26 April 2013

Some days all you can do is laugh

I teach at a Middle School in South Korea and some days I feel like I'm the only sane person around...

Kind of a little like this


On my first day, my co-teacher tried to tell me what our school would be like:

Me: So tell me about the school? Do you like working there?
 (big smile of optimism and dreams)

Co-teacher: No, it is like circus.

Me: Hahaha really?

Co-teacher: (straight face) On bad days, more like prison.

After a year at my school, sometimes I understand what she meant lol. But most days I am very happy.

Today was one of those happier, roll on the floor laughing because Bill Cosby had it right, kids do say the darnedest things. 

Here are some of the gems that I picked up in class... Hope they make you smile because I thought they were HILARIOUS (and slightly disturbing)

Me: Why do we go to the bus stop?
Student 1: To take a bus!
Me: Very good! One point!
Student 2: Teacher! Teacher! For WiFi!
Me: Wow, welcome to the twenty first century.
Student 3: To smoke (wide smile of fake thirteen year old innocence) 
Me: WHAT???

Me: Why do we go to the hospital?
Student 1: To see a doctor!
Me: Very good! One point!
Student 2: To get face cut!
Me: huh?
Student 2: Teeeeechaaaa surgery surgery surgery!
Me: um...
Student 2: Now, ugly. After, beautiful
Me: Oh plastic surgery
Student 2: point??

Me: Why do we go to Paris?
Student 1: To see the Eiffel Tower!
Me: Good! One point!
Student 2: To eat bread!
Me: um... maybe a French baguette?
Student 2: Yes teacher! same!
Me: Ok, point...
Student 3: For the babies!
Me: huh?
Student 3: baby!baby!baby! 
Me: um...
Student 3: (makes disturbing hand motions) Make the babeeeee! Baby !
Me: err.....
Student 3: Baby-MOON!!!!!
Me: Honeymoon?
Student 3: Yes teeechaaa ! same same.

My students range from twelve to fifteen - they are a weird and wonderful mixture of innocence, hormones, gangsters, and energy. Love it. 



1 comment: