Labels

Monday 6 May 2013

Happy Birthday Dad



This weekend marks the second birthday of my dad's that I've missed - if that doesn't drive home the fact that I've been away from home for awhile, nothing will.

I have an amazing family and we're all really close. 
We are all a little crazy in the head so we stick together because life is more fun when you add some crazy.
But in a nice and loving way.

The most common phrase my sister and I use in our messages is something like: 
"you are so weird...and I LOVE it"

I honestly didn't believe I would be able to live apart from them for so long... 
But the great thing about coming from a supportive family is that you are secure in the knowledge that they'll be there for you wherever and whatever you may decide to do in life.
I am beyond grateful for each of them.

Since it was my dad's birthday, 
I decided to share a story that is retold at every family gathering. 
It's the kind of story we love to tell because it is embarrassing to all parties involved.
The kind of story where you fall on your face in a school play.
My family - we love those stories.

Before I start, there is something you need to know about me...

Doctor = needles

I do not like doctors.

Dentist = needles.

I do not like dentists.

Hospital = needles

I do not like hospitals.


Anyone see a trend?


I may have a small, hardly-noticeable fear (aka phobia) of needles.
Yes, I know it's dumb and it doesn't hurt and all that blah blah blah...
I am still terrified.

My fear has not only impacted my life but has scarred a few people - my poor dad mostly.

When I was around fifteen I had a very weird stabbing pain in my abdomen.
 It was weird because it was only painful if I was standing up straight.
As long as I was bent at a 90 degree angle I was fine.

This makes for a weird image. 

Imagine for a moment, a fifteen year old walking around at 90 degrees but refusing to stand up properly.
It was more than a little bizarre. 
I'm pretty sure my parents thought it was some new kind of rebellion thing.
This went on for about a day. 
After awhile I kind of became used to life at a 90 degree angle.

It was getting a bit ridiculous... 

Finally, my loving and unsuspecting father drove me to the emergency room 
(it was a Saturday).
The emergency room is not a fun or happy place.
People kept rushing in with gaping head wounds and
 things sticking out of....let's just they were not doing so good.

And I was tucked in the corner, doing pretty good, and happily reading a book at 90 degrees.

The nurse kept coming over and was all "But what exactly is wrong?"
And I would smile sheepishly (wish I had just stayed home) and say
 "um, I'm pretty sure I can't stand up straight"
(How the heck was I supposed to know, lady?) 
My dad just sat by dutifully and tried to pretend his life didn't involve a daughter bent at 90 degrees.

So they did some examining (the nurse kept trying to make me lay down straight lols),
and after awhile the doctor came over to say,
"We can't say for sure what's wrong..." (doctor code for I think you're faking),
"but we need to take some blood for routine tests."

Blood = Needles

I DO NOT LIKE NEEDLES

At this moment I went into full fledged panic mode. I don't mean like quiet, dignified panic.
I mean P.A.N.I.C.
Screaming and crying (the ugly kind) while my dad, the doctor and two nurses restrained me to draw some blood.
All I can say is that those doctor-people are sticklers for their routine. And pretty strong too.

(Side note: my dad was not adequately prepared for this situation. He likes to look on the bright side of life. He is an annoyingly happy morning person. His usual words of encouragement for when you're hurt go along the lines of, "at least it's not bleeding" - when you break your arm. A screaming teenager is not in his life plan)

I passed out about 5 minutes into the whole episode. 

My dad however remembers EVERYTHING 
like other people remember horror movies.

Last time my dad had to take me to the doctor he dropped me off at the front door and sped off before I could even ask when he was coming back for me.
I was just getting a check-up.

He may still be a little shaken by the whole experience.




Hug a parent today~~ 
They put up with a lot of inexplicable crazy.


1 comment: