Labels

Thursday 16 May 2013

Quotes from my kids


My students are a bit crazy in the head.



But I love them with all my heart,
because they are so very weird, special, loving and bad at English.

Students all dressed up for sports day - dancing Gangnam Style

When I first came to Korea, I wasn't quite prepared for the attention
my foreignness and appearance would garner. 
At first, it's a bit overwhelming, and the comments I got from students,
fellow teachers and strangers were a bit confusing... 
Now I understand the commentary and stares a lot better and I'm kind of used to it.
(except in Seoul - in Seoul no one cares what you look like or that you're a foreigner).

I had some interesting reactions to my nose, my eyes and my hair.

Student B: Teacher, nose good.
Me: Why??
Student B: Teacher nose high.
Me: Really?
Student B: Yes! Teacher nose plastic surgery?
Me: NO!
Student B: Oh wow. Teacher very good.

In Korea, having a "high" nose is a sign of beauty and as a result, loads of Koreans get their noses altered to make it appear "higher."
Luckily, I was born this way.

Student C: Teacher, eyes so big.
Me: OK
Student C: Like big bug eye!
Me: Um,OK...
Student C: Teacher big eyes wow!
Me: errrr....
Student C: Teacher beautiful...
Me: Um, but teacher big bug eyes???
Student C: Yes. Teacher pretty bug eyes.

Although I was unaware of the importance of having big eyes before landing in Korea,
now I know that most Korean women (and men) want bigger eyes
- with a double eyelid of course.



My students love to ask some weird questions about English words -

Student A: Teachaaa!
Me: Yes?
Student A: You know hamburger?
Me: Yes...
Student A: In hamburger, there is ham or meat?
Me: Er, meat I guess...
Student A: Noooooooo!
Me: Why??
Student A: HAM-burger! Hamburger is ham! HAM -burger!
Me: Haha oh... um, no... Hamburger is meat.
Student A: Why hamburger??? Why no meat-burger when hamburger is meat!

It's one of life's great conundrums my friend.

Korea is very different to my home back in South Africa.
But I really do love all the weird and wonderful its thrown at me thus far...




No comments:

Post a Comment